As an early adopter of many new devices and technologies I fully understand
that my serial number < 100 device will probably require some updates, and
may require them at my expense. I refuse to demand that Elecraft "cover me
like a blanket" for any necessary updates. If I wasn't willing to take some
risk in order to be among the first owners of this radio, I wouldn't have
placed my order within 30 minutes of the announcement being posted to the
list.

There are three kinds of people when it comes to a new product like this.
Those who jump in with no regrets and no expectations beyond getting the
radio before anyone else (early adopters); those who wait for all the
glitches to be wrung out and for the price to come down (the patient); and
those who are actually in the latter camp but who really want to get their
hands on the product early (the hand-wringers). I don't think it's
Elecraft's responsibility to make that third group feel better about their
purchase decision.

If there are big hardware changes that need to be made and Elecraft sends me
a replacement module for the cost of shipping, great. If they send me
instructions and a bag of parts, great. If they send me an apology and an
order form for a replacement module at my expense, great. If that's not the
way you look at it then you're wise to wait a year or two. Better yet, wait
for the K4 then pick up a late-model K3 on eBay. (The first post-K3 K2 is up
there now.) :-)

Craig
NZ0R
KX1 #1499