I remember hearing in one of the posts that they had been working on this for 3 years. Would it be possible to hear an overview of their beta testing process, how many folks were involved, maybe some interesting anecdotes from the process? Just curious. If I'm stepping into areas best left alone, that is fine.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Larry Phipps wrote:
I have an early serial number K2 that I have updated as well. I'm not concerned that there will be support... just wondering what form it will take. If there are changes that are parts substitutions, I assume we will have the option of doing our own rework and updates. I have the tools for SMD rework, so this is not a problem. My concern would be a board revision, which would rise to the level that rework would be difficult or impossible. I assume any board which does not meet published specs would be replaced under warranty. I am also assuming a redesign just to improve performance would not be free, but would be available at nominal cost.

With so many beta testers this is all probably unlikely, but it is an all new design and with hundreds of early adopters, with wide ranging needs, the rig will be tested in ways which have probably not been encountered yet. It might be a good idea (and probably already in the works) to direct the beta testers to run additional tests and operations based on the reflector comments and questions of the last few days. With such a hot new product, I am certain that Eric and Wayne are being especially careful about the roll-out, so as not to taint it.

73,
Larry N8LP

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Larry,

I would not be concerned about the hardware from the first production run. If the K2 stability can be any example, remember that the K2 did not have significant hardware changes to the receiver or transmitter chains. There were a few enhancements, but my Field Test K2 has very little rework that is not present on my SN2100 K2 - both are upgraded to the current level.

In the firmware arena, I do expect changes as customer requests for added or changed functions are accommodated, but with the firmware being available as a download, those changes are easy to install.

As always, you can expect total commitment to customer support from Elecraft.

73,
Don W3FPR

Larry Phipps wrote:

I may wait for the second production run, although that may be sold out by the end of Dayton ;-) I'm guessing 200 for the first run, and maybe as many as 1,000 for the second run. I would like to hear feedback between those runs, but I don't think there will be time for much feedback. My main concern would be hardware changes between runs on the first few runs, and how they would be handled for early buyers. Obviously firmware changes are no problem. As good as the K3 design appears to be, there are always little running changes in a rollout.

73,
Larry N8LP