Roofing filters - I think the term has more to do with marketing than
engineering.  Other companies have made a big deal over having them and
people have come to think of them as something special.

They are little more than filters placed early in the RX signal path to
limit bandwidth ASAP.  They were added to correct issues / problems that
have crept into modern synth-based mulit-mode radios and they really do
make the receivers work better.

I have no idea where the term Roofing comes and I certainly don't try to
make sense of it.  It is just a term applied to a filter that is very
worth having in a rig.

What is sweet about the K2 is that the filters in the K2 are positioned
early in the signal path so they in effect operate similar to the
roofing filters that other manufactures put in their rigs.  Check out
the K2's RX performance and you'll see it is great.  Early filtering is
partly why.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -