With respect Larry I must disagree about the term "roofing filter" being misleading. I completely agree that a narrow filter at the first IF is desireable if not essential, and it could be identified as a roofing filter in some instances - see below. This approach has been the norm in the design of certain classes of high performance receiver for some time, and obviously this filter's bandwidth must be compatible with the receiver's operating mode.

I think that the confusion in understanding the meaning of the term "roofing filter" started in the amateur community sometime after commercial double conversion receivers began to appear on the amateur market, and appears to be increasing. Because these receivers used very wide roofing filters, and many still do, the myth arose that roofing filters were always wide and were only used in double conversion receivers. In turn this gave birth to other myths about the poor performance of double conversion receivers vs single conversion receivers, which often can be traced back to poor design and poor electro-mechanical construction. The term "roofing filter" was intended, and has since when correctly used, to identify the first narrow bandwidth IF filter appearing in a receiver's signal path after the first signal mixer, but *only* in those cases where additional IF filtering was introduced further down the IF chain for the purpose of establishing the overall RF / IF selectivity - as found in many amateur double conversion receivers and early single conversion ISB receivers for example. In the ISB receivers with which I was involved in the 1950s, the typical bandwidth of the roofing filter was slightly greater than twice the required traffic bandwidth of each of the following USB and LSB filters i.e.roughly speaking 7 kHz for a basic two channel at baseband receiver, not tens of kHz. In later years a variety of roofing filters, some wide some very narrow have crossed my path. The term does *not* and was *not* intended to imply that that the receiver's architecture is double conversion nor that the bandwidth of the roofing filter is by default wide, and is not used to identify any filter outside of the IF cascade. Although it is tempting to identify the roofing filter as the 1st IF filter, this could imply that there were other IFs used elsewhere in the receiver in question e,g dual conversion or triple conversion, and is usually avoided.

In the case of a straightforward single conversion receiver using a single set of filters (or variable bandwidth in the case of the K2) the IF filter should not be identified as a roofing filter.The small filter prior to a product detector to attenuate unwanted sideband IF generated noise does not count as a second filter, because according to the "rules" the same result can be achieved by using an image reject mixer as a product detector On the other hand if for some strange reason a single conversion comms receiver did employ a widish bandwidth IF filter close after the mixer and narrow bandwidth IF filters further down the IF chain, at the risk of questionable IMD performance if the cascade between the filters is weak, it would be correct to identify the first filter as a roofing filter.

In my opinion if a filter is performing the role of a roofing filter its identity should not be changed from "roofing filter", which is a well established term both inside and outside of the amateur community.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD