On May 7, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Thom LaCosta wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Brian Lloyd wrote:

I suspect you will find that the KUSB won't work either.

I suspect you are running Windows.

Thought I had made it clear when I first posted about it.

Sorry. There have been several go-rounds on this and I didn't go back and reread your original posting. I was working from memory, a shaky proposition at best. ;-)

It would seem to me that Elecraft should look into providing a USB interface, since there are so many folks using windows and so many vendors no longer use USB.

I think you mean that many no longer use RS-232 serial. I agree with you that RS-232 no longer makes a lot of sense.

If I can't a converter to work, I'll get a card and waste a slot....

First thing to do is go to Dell and upgrade the drivers for your USB port/hub in your computer. After that look to see if there are new drivers for your USB-to-serial converter and load those. You may find it useful to uninstall all the USB devices (and their drivers) and then reinstall them. Sometimes that fixes problems that are resistant to other approaches.

You also might consider using a bootable CD with Linux on it to see if their drivers will work properly with your hardware.

With the world using USB, I am amazed that people don't include a USB interface.

If Elecraft opted for having their own USB device then they would have to provide drivers for Windows, something I would not want to do if I were them as it would raise their tech-support requirement. By doing what they have done they have pushed the USB/converter/driver problem to someone else. That makes a lot of sense to me.

OTOH I am strongly of the opinion that USB is still too low-level and hardware dependent. Ethernet makes a lot more sense as just about every computer made today has ethernet and supports TCP/IP networking. It would open up many more applications than would USB and certainly a lot more than RS-232. Many hams have either a cable or a DSL connection to the Internet. That implies that they have ethernet running already.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com