Flextronics..... *runs away, screaming*

--f

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Tippett
Sent: woensdag 9 mei 2007 15:42
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Musing on K3 Production and other things

K0WA:

 >Who makes the PC Boards?
Who stuff's the boards? (or what ever you do to surface mount
components) Who checks the boards?
Who fixes the boards?

         Probably someone like Solectron, Flextronics Sanmina or a dozen
other companies who manufacture loaded boards.  It's most definitely not
Elecraft.

 >Who puts the radios together for those people who want a assembled K3?

         Could be Elecraft or a sub-contractor.  My guess would be
Elecraft to maintain tight QA on the rig and do final calibration and
testing.

 >Can they handle the number of orders? (over 1K now I've heard)

         This is the kind of problem most companies would love to have!
It is NOT a problem to lose any sleep over.
 >I wonder if Elecraft will have a board swap program?

         I hope so.  Modular construction and upgradable firmware are
two reasons I would not lose sleep about ordering early.  It will not
cost much to return a module for rework or repair.  At 8 pounds it won't
even cost much to return the entire rig if necessary (compare that to
the boatanchor weight of the Icom and Yaesu behemoths).

         BTW don't forget that warranties are doubled when using certain
types of credit cards.  I've done this for years and the claim process
is very simple.
Keep you sales receipt and credit card slip!

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV