On May 11, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Joseph Trombino Jr wrote:

Compare the Orion receiver specs against the IC7800 and the FT9000 on the Sherwood web site and see what I am talking about....the K2 doesn't do too band either (bigger grin).

I have applied to the ARRL for an ETP (Education & Technology Program) grant for our elementary/middle school. I have asked them to provide a K2 kit for our station so that I can incorporate building and testing the transceiver as part of my ham radio and electronics extension to our science program. (I have a bunch of kids who have said they would like to get their licenses and build their own stations.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get it.

I want the kids to have a decent receiver to work with. I want their early experiences on HF to be as good as possible.

If the K3 can beat out the Orion(s) in receiver specs then it will probably reign as the best receiving rig on the market today...I'm gonna buy a K3 to use as my primary QRP rig and keep my K2 for portable ops....the best of both worlds (grin).

The Flex-5000 has good RX specs too, better than the K2 and the Orion II. It remains to be seen if it is better than the K3. It is interesting that Flex Radio specs their IP3 numbers at 2KHz spacing. They didn't have a spec for BDR.

From what I can tell right now, it looks like the shoot-out for "best receiver" might be between the K3 and the Flex-5000.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com