On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:22:46 -0600, Doug Person wrote:

>I made about $5 and hour for my articles.  Hardly worth it.

Yes. I've done a lot of technical writing that's been published, and
for which I've been paid, and a lot of technical writing for which I
don't expect to make a penny. Although I'm pretty good at it, I don't
think I've ever made more than about $30/hour for writing, and a third
of that is more typical.  Publishers are CHEAP, and are VERY
disrespectful of technical people as writers.

On the other hand, there is a group of writers who work for
manufacturers writing what are essentially PR pieces. They typically
know nothing technical themselves, but call those who do and ask them
questions, write the piece, and sometimes send it to back us to check
it. I found myself rewriting their stuff in self-defense to correct all
the mistakes. These folks get paid VERY well. I used to cooperate with
them until I figured this out.  Now, I refuse to talk to them unless
I'm also getting paid VERY well.

There's a broad sample of my writing at
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

Jim Brown K9YC