Chris,

I would advise an anti-static mat on your workbench, especially since you are working on carpet. One of the ones that are computer keyboard size should do nicely and are available for a reasonable price.

Connect both the mat and the wrist strap to the mains ground lug - each should have the 1 megohm resistor as part of the grounding cable, but you may want to check with an ohmmeter.

73,
Don W3FPR

Koaps wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Good info, I wasn't sure if I need to plug into my
powerstrip or something to get a ground contact,
living in an apartment makes grounding kinda a pain,
and I have a power splitter with a power/ground lights
and the ground light likes to flash a lot, leading me
to believe the ground isn't the best.

I'm going to be working on a wood table(particle
board) and there is carpet on the floor, unfortunately
there's no where else to setup.

I wasn't sure if I needed to get a mat on the table or
not, its not coated with any varnish or anything, just
raw wood.

I'm really excited about building the KX1, this will
be the first hardcore circuit I have built. I have
done some dead bug stuff for BEAM robots, and an easy
FM transmitter kit, but nothing like the KX1.

Thanks again for the replies guys, makes me feel
better about ESD.