Bill,

Check carefully for unsoldered connections on the front panel board, and/or the connectors on the RF Board to both the front panel and the control board. Likewise check for solder bridges.

On the PLL, do you hsve a signal at TP3? - that is the PLL oscillator (12,090 kHz vicinity), what is the frequency at TP1? Is it consistent with the band that the K2 is tuned to? (see the VCO table on the K2 Schematic Key page).

The signal at TP2 comes from the BFO and TP2 normally will not have a signal unless in CAL FCTR mode or during transmit.

73,
Don W3FPR

William M. Spaulding, SR wrote:
Hi All,

My K2 project has two snags.  The first is the optical encoder.  When turning the encoder
shaft, it appears to be battling with "Lock" to see who will control the
frequency.  Lock always wins, although if you turn fast enough, you can get one or two
changes in the lsb.  The remainder of the front panel seems to work well.  Can someone
shed some light on this problem?

The second battle is somewhere in the PLL.  I get a signal at TP1.  TP2 has
nothing but a lot of noise that you would expect if the loop is not locking
properly.  These are sticky wickets, and I sure could use help.

Thanks for any help,

Bill
NA7Y