Chris -

WHAT IS SOLDER?
Solder is a metal alloy consisting of distinct percentages of two or more metals. In electrical work, the alloy is usually tin (Sn) and lead (Pb). However, Silver (Ag), Zinc (Zn), and Antimony (Sb) are used for special soldering alloys. Solder that uses lead has a lower melting point than pure lead. However, some solders contain no lead.

a.. Each alloy composition has unique characteristics, eg., melting point, hardness, and solid-to-liquid transition properties, and may or may not be eutectic.

a.. A eutectic alloy is a composition of one or more metals that has one sharp melting point and no intermediate "plastic" stage. Non-eutectic compositions have a semi-liquid temperature range where the metal can be "worked" due to its plastic nature. For example lead has a melting point of 621 OF (327 OC) and tin melts at 450 OF (232 OC).

Alloying 63% tin with 37% lead forms a EUTECTIC that melts at 361 OF (183 OC). NOTE: that this particular alloy's melting point is lower than either of the parent metals.

Please do not make the common mistake with your new adjustable temperature soldering station.
(Weller WES51, Hakko 936-12, Solomon series from Taiwan)

Temperature is ONE of THREE aspects for good soldering.
SIZE, PROFILE and TEMPERATURE

Soldering Iron Tip - The tip should be small enough so that the joint being soldered can be easily seen, but large enough to quickly transfer the heat required to raise the joint temperature to the solder melting point. I prefer the prefer a chisel (screwdriver) tip profile between 1/16" and 1/8" (ETA, ETB, ETC) across the spade for general purpose soldering. Smaller tips are available and required for small pads and surface mount components. The larger tip provides more heat for large connectors, lugs and large size wire as well as for desoldering using desoldering braid or solder pump. a.. 0.020" dia. (25 gauge/.05 cm) rosin core or smaller - Very small. Excellent for soldering very small printed circuit (PCB) board pads and hand soldering surface mount components. Too small for a general purpose bench solder. It can take excessive heating time to apply sufficient solder to larger joints. I keep both a .020 and .031 1 lb roll at the workbench..

http://engr.nmsu.edu/~etti/fall97/electronics/solder.html

The WES51 comes standard with the ETA - 1/16" screwdriver tip.
I highly suggest all owners also have the ETB - 3/32" screwdriver profile tip. The ETB works very well with switches, connectors and large pads on PC boards. When I use this tip, I can often reduce my temperature to from 700 to 650 degrees

AVOID going above 750 degrees with very small tips -- significantly reduces tip life and requires frequent tip cleaning.

w9gb

----- Original Message ----- From: "Koaps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>