Rob,

The solder available at Radio Shack is of a larger diameter than I like to use. While the solder is OK, the large diameter means that once it melts, you already have too much solder on the connection. I recommend a solder diameter of 0.020 inches or smaller (I personally use 0.015 for thru hole work and 0.010 for SMD work). For construction of the KX1 or other densely packaged kits, I highly recommend a small diameter solder so you can easily control the amount fed to the connection.

While there is nothing wrong with the standard 60/40 alloy, you will find the eutectic 63/37 alloy a bit better since it has no plastic state and cold solder joints are practically non-existent when it is used.

As for flux, most any kind of mildly-activated rosin core flux will do fine.

Mouser carries Kester solder and I like the Kester 285 for all-around electronics use. Look at Mouser PN 533-24-6337-6422 .015 dia. or 533-24-6337-6401 .020 dia.

Stay away from the water soluble flux (corrosive unless removed by industrial methods) and the lead free solders - lead free solders require a higher melting temperature and are extremely difficult to remove if component removal becomes necessary.

I have not used the RS soldering station, so I cannot comment.

73,
Don W3FPR

Rob Lundahl wrote:
Are any of the Radio Shack solder types acceptable for a KX1 build?

Also any opinions on their digital solder station 64-009?

Thanks in advance.