From a purely manufacturing point of view, it's a lot easier to make a solid
state amplifier, particularly with surface mount parts and flow soldering on a production line. Thousands can be made with high accuracy and repeatability and that alone reduces a major cost centre which is the manufacturing labour. Cheaper, more reliable devices and magnetics come close behind but I think design has to be more clever and equipment in the design process is more expensive to ensure stability. However, an rf transistor is the fastest fuse on 3 legs ! It's a lot easier to let the smoke out.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Buller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 3:01 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Solid State Amps

When I attended Dayton this year and reading the magazines, I see there is now a great interest in solid state amps.

I thought that these amps were...well...not as efficient as tube amps thus not being attractive to hams. I guess we wanted BIG iron for an amp.

Ameritron has two amps out for quite some time...the 500 and 600 with the 600 now coming with a switching PS. It seems people who own the 600 watt model like them very much.

Even "E" has the contesters contest amp and it is solid state. So, what has changed? Have the SS Amps gotten more efficient? Higher voltages? What effects the efficiency of these amps where now there seems to be a market for the Japanese and the Italians.

Now most radios provide 100 watts output using transistors and the tube finals in rigs have long been gone. So, is this just a natural evolution of amplifiers or is some new technological breakthrough happened in high powered solid state amplifiers?

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply. If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it. If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense. Is Common Sense devine?