On Jun 1, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

When I attended Dayton this year and reading the magazines, I see there is now a great interest in solid state amps.

I thought that these amps were...well...not as efficient as tube amps thus not being attractive to hams.

I think this is true. It's still cheaper to produce several hundred watts with an old tube design than to do so with solid state devices. Although that may not continue for long, as certain tubes become unobtainium, and solid state devices slowly get cheaper.

Even "E" has the contesters contest amp and it is solid state. So, what has changed? Have the SS Amps gotten more efficient? Higher voltages?

I think the price point for this type of equipment has shifted upward to the point that solid state amplifiers are practical in the market.

Now most radios provide 100 watts output using transistors and the tube finals in rigs have long been gone. So, is this just a natural evolution of amplifiers or is some new technological breakthrough happened in high powered solid state amplifiers?

Looks like just the continuing evolution of electronics.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901