Mike

for two tone dynamic range testing, both signals are
located intentionally outside the detection passband
(narrowest filter) of the receiver, and the receiver
is tuned so that one of the third order intermods is
within the passband.

you may find that this is a useful reference:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/109435.pdf

when the measurement is bounded by phase noise, it
means that instead of introducing a distortion product
or reducing the level of a weak signal, instead the
phase noise introduced by the receiver itself
(generally the local oscillators) has degraded
detection of the weak signal.

otherwise, you seem to be on the right track with your
understanding.

73, curt