You guys are awesome!  :D

In addition to the slope of the function (dB per S-unit), is the
scale set point user-configurable? Or is this hard-coded such that
S9=50 uV?

User settable.

I'm not sure I really like this at all. S-meters are meaningless if they do not adhere to some kind of norm.

The IARU Region I published a "norm" many years ago and, imho, it is a blemish on the face of the face of amateur community that this has not been implemented on a wide scale basis.

It is beyond me how regulators can take interference reports based on s-meter values seriously. The s-meter is for many amateurs around the world, the only way they have of selectively measuring low level signals. One can not expect an affordable s-meter to be accurate to a tenth of a dB but plus/minus one or two dBs ought to be possible.

vy 73 de toby

PS: The IARU Region I recommendation:
Page 156 in http://www.iaru-r1.org/VHF_Handbook_V5_11.pdf
Page 142 in http://www.iaru-r1.org/HFM%20Handbook%20V6.pdf