Brian Lloyd wrote:

....being able to change the S-meter slope and intercept strikes me as being a bad option. To me that is like changing the calibration of a voltmeter or wattmeter because you like the needle pointer to move differently.

I'd agree with you if there were a single world-wide standard for S-9, and no need to compensate for slight differences in receive gain from one unit to the next. But reality is that S-meters usually require both scale and offset calibration.

This is also more flexible. As I mentioned earlier, I set my S-meters up for 4 dB per S-unit. Here's why: I like a greater degree of sensitivity in the S-meter so I can see the effects of things like preamp on/off, filter changes, notch, NR, etc. It also makes band-pass filters easier to tweak when there isn't a scope or AF voltmeter handy, and you can more readily see the effect of an improved antenna during A/B testing.

If hams wanted to be precise in assessing signal levels, we'd report them in dBm and do a lot of averaging. But for most operators this is a hobby, not a job :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---