On Jun 7, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Toby Deinhardt wrote:

It is beyond me how regulators can take interference reports based on s-meter values seriously. The s-meter is for many amateurs around the world, the only way they have of selectively measuring low level signals. One can not expect an affordable s-meter to be accurate to a tenth of a dB but plus/minus one or two dBs ought to be possible.

I agree 100%.

I like the idea that by referencing a fixed standard, i.e. S9 = 50uV into 50ohms, and then with a fixed slope after that, i.e. 6dB/S-unit, I can get an actual calculation of path loss by knowing the rest of the kit, e.g. line loss, antenna gain, transmit power, etc. That is really useful! Randomly changing S-meter behavior because it "looks good" or "sounds good" seems pretty darned counter-productive to me.

As a minimum, if someone makes a 10dB change in their signal, I should see a 10dB change on my meter. I just roll my eyes when someone kicks on their amplifier and I see a 3 S-unit change. Oh please!

So this gets back to a discussion of user interface. Microsoft has convinced us that being able to change things is somehow useful and desirable when, in fact, all it really does is cause confusion and support problems. Almost nothing is more frustrating than finding that the person you are trying to help has "customized" their system beyond recognition and nothing you tell them is really going to help them get it to work.

Sorry Wayne, but being able to change the S-meter slope and intercept strikes me as being a bad option. To me that is like changing the calibration of a voltmeter or wattmeter because you like the needle pointer to move differently.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com