So Ken hates the word "Ham" when used to describe us, well, hams.

ME TOO!

1.  As a adjective to RADIO, it adds no meaning except to other hams

2.  To the uninitiated, is sounds rather silly (at best)

3.  It does not convey the technical nor operating skill levels
required/achieved

4.  Zero offense to Elecraft, but I can only imagine what "hands-on
ham radio" conveys to a non-ham.   LOL

For me, I'd rather be called a "short wave" radio operator, even
though I operate on frequencies outside the "short waves."  At least
"short wave" is a term many folks (but probably not kids) understand.
Then again, I'm sure kids today would get a good laugh (and not much
more) from the phrase "ham radio."

Maybe us "hams" need a campaign to repackage ourself in terms of the public.

de Doug KR2Q