DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:
> So Ken hates the word "Ham" when used to describe us, well, hams.
>
> ME TOO!
>
> 1.  As a adjective to RADIO, it adds no meaning except to other hams
>
> 2.  To the uninitiated, is sounds rather silly (at best)
>
> 3.  It does not convey the technical nor operating skill levels
> required/achieved
>
> 4.  Zero offense to Elecraft, but I can only imagine what "hands-on
> ham radio" conveys to a non-ham.   LOL
>

> For me, I'd rather be called a "short wave" radio operator, even
> though I operate on frequencies outside the "short waves."  At least
> "short wave" is a term many folks (but probably not kids) understand.
> Then again, I'm sure kids today would get a good laugh (and not much
> more) from the phrase "ham radio."
>
> Maybe us "hams" need a campaign to repackage ourself in terms of the
> public.
>
> de Doug KR2Q

The term "Ham Radio" has been used at least for 75 years, possibly more. Most of
us "old-timers" are proud to be Hams. But then, we took "real" exams and even,
back in the olden days, had to pass a Morse Code test. (After walking barefoot
in the snow 5 miles to the FCC examiner, of course).

Perhaps the term "Ham Radio" has become outmoded, with the new trends in Amateur
Radio, no more code test, memorized exams, etc. So maybe we should "repackage"
ourselves.

I know! Why don't we call it "Citizen's Band?"  (CB for short).

---
 / \  / \  / \  / \  / \   John L. Sielke
( W )( 2 )( A )( G )( N )  http://w2agn.net
 \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/   http://www.blurty.com/users/w2agn