Julian G4ILO wrote:

I'm with you on this. When you have a recognizable brand name you
don't throw it away, and "ham radio" means more to most people than
any new name you might make up.

During the US adventure in SE Asia, I served in the First Mobile Communications Group. We had communications teams all over Vietnam, Laos, and some in Thailand, and we were well known by all the services as "The MOB" and "Mobsters." Probably the coolest nickname for a military unit I've ever heard. Much like "Ham," it got people's attention, and since we were so good at providing combat communications, it helped endear us to those units we often had to rely on for shelter, food, water, fuel, mail, and sometimes ammunition. It was neat to be so well known and liked.

Then somewhere along the way, some fairly dim bulb threw away our "brand name" and renamed us the First Combat Communications Group. Go ahead ... make a cool nickname out of that one :-(

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7