Remember these are roofing filters not the normal bandwidth filters we are
used to.  The DSP is going to provide the final filtering.  All the  roofing
filter does is reduce the width of the front end.

Therefore, you might not need all of them or any of them depending  on the
type of operating you do.  The casual operator may not need any  additional
roofing filters.  The supplied 2.7 khz is already pretty narrow  for a roofing
filter (compared to the 15khz in the Pro3).

In my  Orion, which has a very similar roofing filter design to the K3,  I
have a  1.8khz roofing filter for SSB work and a 600hz filter for CW.  Those
two
 are all I need.  The skirts are wide enough that the signal does not sound
pinched, yet it does greatly improve the ability to operate near strong
signals.  It would be redundant and unnecessary to have any more filters  than
these two.

The interesting question (to me) is the  difference between the 8 pole and 5
pole filters, where they go and what  difference it will make.  I suspect
we'll have to wait for people to play  with the radios to get a good grip on
the
implications.

k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

Get  a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.