Hello Jeff!

...I'm just saying this was an
opportunity to put the level shift in the radio, and I wonder why it wasn't, and why I couldn't/shouldn't modify my own K3? thanks!

One of the modes that the K3 will use that very same data input pin for is "direct PSK" in the same sense that it might be used for direct FSK. A UART in a PC won't drive such a signal with the correct timing, it'll have to come from the parallel port, or ???

The K3 input is a general purpose input, not only an "FSK for RTTY"
input, so we tried to make the interface levels general, too.

You could modify your K3 to make it an RS232 level only input, or you could put a 2N3904 or 2N2222 transistor plus a series base resistor inside the shell of the DE16 Accessory connector that you wire up for your station. Or???

Lots of options :-)

73,

Lyle kK7P