hi Wayne - thanks for the reply! I understand now what you're dealing with... the GPIO sounds like a cool way to get several different interfaces off the back panel of the radio.

I guess I just joined the ranks of those who just can't wait for their K3 and then spew all over the reflector about it... I blame the fact I had to shlep a 70 pound radio one more time to the station I guest-operated at yesterday...;)

thanks, and apologies to everyone! - jeff wk6i

ps: one each transistor and resistor in a DB9 shell is in my skill set, two
each are right out!

wayne burdick wrote:
Jeff,

The K3's I/O module already provides for the use of RTS or DTR for PTT and/or CW KEY in (two separate control lines). The exception is FSK, which is on the ACC connector. In the present incarnation, driving this line from a PC requires two external parts (one garden-variety NPN transistor and one resistor). I used MMTTY with this interface during NAQP this weekend.

But one nice thing about the K3 is its modularity. Both the main I/O card and its audio and digital daughter boards can be easily changed to meet future needs. If for example we added an FSK interface to the digital daughter board, you'd be able to upgrade it very inexpensively, and installing it would take about 2 minutes.

Also, we plan to design an external general-purpose I/O unit that would connect to the ACC jack. It would provide pre-wired connectors for use with various PC interfaces, transverters, the KRC2, etc.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

--
Jeff Stai               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/