hi Don - I'm confused. Open collector FSK inputs have been around for at least 20 years, probably longer. Radios have already been slaves to that particular way. What I'm saying is "let's make it easier to get on FSK using a standard DB9 cable, and not require the user to build a special cable." In this aspect, the K3 is already "locked in the past"!

And I'm afraid my skill set has never been up to the micro-surgery required to build circuits inside a connector shell.... a much better place for circuits is safely inside the chassis.

73 - jeff wk6i

ps: I predict that RTTY, PSK, CW, and horseback riding will experience no significant changes in the manner in which they are performed in the next 20 years. :)

Don Wilhelm wrote:
As a counter to Jeff's perspective, I find that similar things which are integrated inside the radio will slave that radio to one particular way of providing that function. Times change, desires change, but that radio is locked into the past because of the 'way things were done back then'.

Moving such functions into a small external box or cable is much preferable IMHO.

--
Jeff Stai               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/