A "normal" bug of any manufacture uses the thumb for dits and finger for
dahs, just like you do now.

Some lefties learned to use a normal bug backwards and some lefties bought
special left-handed bugs so they could make dits with their thumb and dahs
with their finger just like right-handed operators on normal bugs.

With the action of paddles being easily reversible in most newer rigs, I've
seen more new operators learning their paddles "backwards". I guess it's all
what one is used to.

I used bugs for 20 years, then switched to paddles/keyer for 25 years before
going back to a bug almost ten years ago. The big challenge I faced going
back to a bug was learning to do my own spacing and making my own dahs
again. I had gotten used to using a paddle  as a simple "input" device for
the keyer, telling it that I wanted a dit or dah next, and how many. The
keyer logic took care of providing the proper spacing and lengths of dits
and dahs for the speed I was using.

A bug does none of that. A bug ONLY provides dits, and you must adjust the
pendulum weight for the proper speed of the dits and the contact gap for the
proper length of each dit when you change speed. While sending in "real
time", the operator is responsible for making the right length dahs, setting
the right spacing between dahs, dahs and dits, and between letters and
words.

Learning to do that properly in real time at whatever speed I wanted to use
was the real challenge of returning to a bug. Some ops say they can do it in
a flash. It took me weeks of practicing off the air, and I still do sending
practice regularly (send a page out of the phone book, with numbers and
addresses, then listen to it the next day to see if I like the "fist").

Ron AC7AC