Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

When I do use a keyer these days (e.g. my KX1 in the field) I use it like a
'bug', tapping the dash lever for each dash, etc. Not an ideal solution, but
it helps avoid my reverting to keyer muscle memory and 'forgetting' how to
use a bug again. For me, that happens very quickly. If I let myself, it only
takes a few minutes to be whizzing along with an Iambic keyer again, then it
takes hours to regain some semblance of decent timing on the bug.

I've found that squeeze keying is different enough from side-to-side bug operation that only a small amount of practice is needed to get the ability to use the bug back. This was not the case when I used to use a single-lever paddle.

Years ago I suggested a "bug mode" in the Elecraft keyers in which they
would simply produce the outputs a bug does: key down as along as the dash
paddle is closed and a string of dots at the speed set when the dot paddle
is closed. It never happened. I suppose there aren't enough of us
bug-oriented masochistic curmudgeons around to make it worthwhile ;-)

I've tried such things and they never work because (at least for me) the tactile feedback from the momentum of the bug weight is important to my timing.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco