I use De-Oxit. A drop between the contacts is allowed to sit there a few
minutes, then the excess is removed by closing the contacts on a bit of
paper. It solves the "dirty contact" problem for me. One treatment lasts
many months.

My second favorite method is to gently close the contacts on a bit of paper
and pull it out to "burnish" the contacts but, for me, that doesn't work
nearly as well or last as long as the De-Oxit treatment.

Ron AC7AC