Kent  K9ZTV, made the point off-line that burnishing (rubbing to smooth or
polish) contacts on modern keys might not be a good idea. He observed that
any abrasive rubbing or polishing might damage special finishes or alloys
that the manufacturer may have used on them.

I was speaking of my half-century old keys that have brass (or bronze)
contacts that have been repeatedly ground and burnished to remove pits and
burns caused by arcing when keying high voltage lines in old transmitters.
As John mentioned, a reasonable current through those contacts actually
served to help keep them clean. Modern very low voltage/low current keying
circuits don't do that and the contacts easily become intermittent as they
collect a coat of oxides and dirt. Such contacts need no such delicate care
as perhaps modern contacts might, although it'd be foolish damage them
further needlessly. (Some old keys do have silver contacts which should be
treated with care, especially if they're plated and not solid silver. Silver
oxide is a good conductor, so even if they appear black they are still good
electrical contacts. If they become intermittent it's not because they are
oxidized but because they are actually dirty with a film covering the
silver. Very gentle wiping should restore good contact.)

On my old keys with their bronze contacts, burnishing is definitely in order
if nothing else works and they've survived that treatment hundreds of times
over the decades. Recently I've found that De-Oxit does the job even better
as I described.

If I bought a brand new key I'd check with the manufacturer about how they
recommend cleaning the contacts because, sooner or later, they're sure to
need it.

Ron AC7AC