Andy,

I had luck making a plastic knob from scratch a while back.  I needed
a knob for a little Dremel jig I built for creating Manhattan style
PCB pads.  I think my knob was about 2" in diamater.

Basic supplies:
- Polyester plastic casting resin
- Hardener (for resin)
- Mold

The casting resin and hardener can be had at local crafts stores
around here.  I presume it wouldn't be hard to find across the pond
either.  For molds, I have had good luck with Polyethylene (HDPE /
LDPE) and Polypropylene (PP), without using a mold release agent.
That being said, I also cut the mold off, so they end up being one
time use for me.  Mold release (available according to the resin
manufacturer), or a better shaped mold (nice draft angles) might let
you reuse molds.

For my knob, I used an empty plastic single serving fruit cup.  I
wanted a threaded rod coming out of the back of it, so after pouring
the resin in the mold, I gently set a bolt into the puddle of liquid
plastic.  24 hours later, and the bolt is a permanent part of the
knob.  It's not exactly perpendicular to the knob face, but only a few
degrees off, and unimportant for what I needed.  A little work and you
could find a way to embed one and make it square.

Once my knob was done, I faced the back a little bit by chucking the
bolt end into my little drill press.  A little work holding a file
against the back edge, and I shaped it to my liking (flattened it out
a bit, and smoothed over the "corner").

Link to the casting resin manufacturer's site (surely there are
others, but this is the brand I used):
<http://eti-usa.com/consum/index.html> scroll down a little bit

Picture of the style of fruit cups I used for a mold:
<http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:lBqSO-1t6kwCAM:http://www.packworld.com/thumbsLarge/issues/03.03/images/Features/DelMonte.jpg>

If you go this route, and have more questions, feel free to send me
some mail directly.  I skim this list in digest, so I might miss a
reply sent there.

-detrick
KI4STU