I have used a doublet fed with open wire line most of my half century on the
air, and what Don says agrees with my experience.

I have measured the current in each leg of the feed line with an unbalanced
tuner and no balun and found it very well balanced. The balance in the
currents seems to have a lot more to do with the load (antenna) than the
source. After all, the RF currents coming out of a BNC or other coax
connector are 180 degree out of phase, just like the output of the best
balun or balanced tuner. The only difference is that in a normal coax output
one side becomes coupled to the rig case without a contiguous coaxial shield
to prevent it. How much that affects the balance depends entirely on the
impedance of the feedline at that point, the size and capacitance of the rig
to ground and the impedance of any other ground paths present. Lots of
variables!

As Don said, a choke (current) balun can do wonders if you have serious
unbalance or "RF" on the rig. It removes the common-mode (in phase) currents
flowing on the line without upsetting the RF 180 degrees out of phase moving
from the rig to the antenna. That effectively prevents the RF flowing up the
open wire line from flowing back along the outside of the rig.

A doublet will work very well at lengths down to 1/4 wave overall, as long
as your tuner can match the impedance. So a 66 foot wire will do a very good
job on 80, or a 135 foot wire will do a very good job on 160. The difference
between such as "half sized" doublet and a full 1/2 wave long doublet is
about 1 dB or so, from what I've read. The issue on the lower frequencies
with a horizontal doublet is more a matter of antenna height than anything
else. Below 1/2 wavelength high, the low angle radiation starts to suffer
and by the time the antenna is 1/4 wavelength above the ground the main lobe
is straight up! It can have considerable gain at 0.15 to 0.25 wavelengths
high -- something on the order of 6 db gain -- but it's straight up. That's
excellent for NVIS (short skip) QSOs out to 500 miles or so, but lousy for
DX.

On 20 meters, you'll have excellent low angle radiation as long as the wire
is 30 feet or so up.

Of course, hanging the doublet as an inverted V or as a sloper will add some
vertical radiation to the mix that will help the low-angle field a bit.

If you can't get a match and put a 1:1 balun in the system and the ATU
matches it, it's most likely because of losses in the balun! The balun
should report the same impedance to the tuner as the antenna did without it.
If the system matches with the balun but won't without it, the balun must be
injecting some impedance, and that impedance will be a loss impedance.

If you try a 4:1 balun and get a match, that may be because of the impedance
transformation occurring in the balun, or it may be loss. It's hard to tell
unless you discover your balun core is noticeably warm. Large baluns
dissipate heat so well it's hard to tell. They aren't necessarily any more
efficient. They simply disguise the loss more effectively with a larger core
mass to absorb the heat produced by the losses.

The bottom line is that transformer baluns get unpredictable under high SWR
conditions. One may work well under those conditions or it may not. There's
no easy way to tell.

That's why I avoid baluns on an open wire line unless I really have to use
one, then I'll look to a current balun as Don recommended. If my tuner won't
provide a match on one or more bands, changing the antenna length or feeder
length is the best bet. It's a matter or cut and try, but it results in the
most efficient system under the conditions.

Ron AC7AC