I plan to put an external amplifier and speaker on my K3.

The K2 was designed with audio 'just strong enough' so that the the receiver current drain would be low, and the K3 does not draw a huge amount of receive current either - which tells me that there is not a BIG audio amplifier in it either - but it will be adequate, the bare K2 *is* adequate in most situations, just not powerful and not 'hi-fi'. To expect great sound from a tiny speaker and an LM380 amplifier is simply unrealistic IMHO.

I run all my shack receivers into an external audio amplifier. I have a dedicated 'communications quality' amplifier/speaker combination with a homebrew audio mixer as the front end. There is a good quality stereo system here in the shack/office that I can feed the receivers into if I want the best fidelity audio, but that is not usually the case for ham receivers.

Bottom line is that I have never encountered a modern ham receiver with an internal speaker that has what I would call good audio - that went away when the big vacuum tube behemoths with their big external speakers and big transformers went out of production, so I provide my own.

73,
Don W3FPR

Simon Brown (HB9DRV) wrote:
Agreed - as I get older I need more audio - my IC-7800 was very good in this department, hoping the K3 will be!

Simon Brown, HB9DRV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brett gazdzinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The ratings typically are 2.5 watts or less at 10% distortion,
no frequency response range or noise figures...