When you listen to the "music" most people listen to, the quality
hardly matters. :)

However, there are lossless audio compression formats, and formats
that can support higher bit-rates (and therefore presumably higher
fidelity) than standard CDs, so I guess the advertising is true. It's
just that most people are happy to trade quality for small file size.

As far as amateur communications go I think the quality of the
transmitted audio makes more difference than the quality of the
receiver. Some of the cleanest sounding SSB I have ever heard came
from the Kenwood TS-520 / TS-820 / TS-830 transceivers with their tube
finals. Then solid state PAs came along. I doubt if even the K3 output
stages will have better linearity and IMD than a pair of 6146Bs in
push-pull, but Elecraft is always capable of surprising us. ;)

--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com