I do the exact same thing, I use an old Marantz amplifier
into a big floor standing hifi speaker.
The Marantz has bass, mid and treble controls, plus low and high
filters, which allows me to select any sort of audio
bandpass I want.
I can select various receivers and have one speaker in the shack,
plus the tape out if I want to record something.

My K2 audio sounds fine on cw.
Not a huge amount of background hiss from the chips
and there seems to be plenty for me.

I don't have the ssb board, so cant say how it sounds
on ssb, but that is somewhat pointless to me anyway.

Funny, but there are good sounding modern swl
receivers, with nice speakers, adequate audio
power, bass and treble controls, etc.

The very expensive ham gear has general coverage, but what
for?

Maybe the manufacturers limit the fidelity to reduce
the noise, but that should/could be an adjustable option...

Brett
N2DTS