Zac,

I have no idea what could be causing that noise, but it certainly sounds like it is frequency dependent (you were tuning during the recording were you not?) and from the intensity, I would judge it to be a local source.

The KNB2 will not likely reduce it at all, but the KDSP2 has a chance at reducing it for you - that will depend on the settings you select for the KDSP2.

You might first try turning everything off in your house and running the K2 on battery to determine if the source is in your own home.

It sounds a bit similar to some of the recordings of BPL that I have heard, so you may want to check to see if any new BPL installations have been activated near you - if so, it is time to consult with the ARRL and notify the FCC of the harmful interference.

73,
Don W3FPR

Zac Brown wrote:
I made a few recordings of some noise that I hear on 40m tonight. The .wav files can be downloaded at the address below. I have no idea what's causing this noise, or how to filter it out. Is this the type of noise that the KDSP2 or KNB2 could remove?

Thanks,

Zac
KD5IEF

http://homepage.mac.com/zac_brown/FileSharing44.html