N6TR:
 >This is an important point that I should have made before.  We need an option
to ignore any input on the paddle input (or CW input) unless PTT is asserted.

         Amen!  Rather than using a Spot button, I send
a few dashes from my key to hear my sidetone when zero
beating someone.  Less effort to move my hand from the
paddle to the radio doing it this way.  After I'm zero-
beat, I use PTT via foot switch to transmit.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZVI'm with you, Bill (and Tree).
That's exactly what I do.73, Norm - W1MO