Leigh L Klotz, Jr. wrote:

Although that isn't strictly the BFO setting, if you center the wider filters around the CW pitch and it is too low, won't their skirts extend below 0Hz and pass the opposite sideband?

Yes, I should have said that the selectivity is independent of BFO pitch, *within limits*. You could also adjust the BFO to a frequency such that the pitch when a signal is centered in the passband would be high enough that only dogs could hear it (and you might have trouble with the rx's audio response in that case).

To be more serious, you don't need to center the signal in the filter. Since I use 550 Hz. as my selected pitch, I would definitely have the problem you describe if I centered my 1.2 KHz filter. The filters have relatively flat tops, though, so you can offset the signal toward the bottom of the wide filters without significant loss of gain.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco