Peter,

Antenna and transmission line behavior is a strange 'animal' that does not mesh with our normal thoughts of electron flow in wires. It is indeed a complex subject that must be considered in 4 dimensions to be fully analyzed, and our brains think in only 3 dimensions. How an electromagnetic wave is launched from an antenna is at the heart of the full answer to your question. The attempt to get the RF to the antenna is the task of the transmission line. A transmission line (hopefully) keeps the RF contained until it reaches the antenna by maintaining a balanced condition (equal and opposite RF currents) all along its length.

I like to think that the major thing that determines the balance of an antenna system more than any other factor is the ends of the antenna - there the current must be zero and the voltage must be high - the laws of physics demand that. With a center fed antenna, balance is carried on the antenna wires to the center feedpoint if the antenna has symmetry with its environmental surroundings. If you connect a balanced feedline at the antenna feedpoint, that balance should be preserved throughout the system until you get to the balanced transmission line end. Note that even coax is a 'balanced line' - if one considers only the center conductor and the *inside* of the shield - the RF currents inside a coax line are equal and opposite which is the definition of balanced. It is only the outside of the coax that makes it 'unbalanced' - in other words, the outside of the coax shield can be an extraneous conductor in space and if steps are not taken to prevent the RF current from getting onto the outside of the shield, it too will act as part of the antenna - this is the main function of a feedpoint balun used on a coax fed antenna.

If you follow those thoughts, you can see that balanced RF current *can* and does flow out of the output of the tuner SO239 jack - so connecting ladder line directly to that jack *is* a workable situation. You may have to experiment with the line length a bit to assure that you are not feeding the line at a point of high RF voltage where leakage may be significant, but that is all that may be required. Most folks do not want to go to the trouble of refining the transmission line length to create the proper conditions, and for those situations, the balun is an easy way out.

In other words - I believe that RF balance is a condition of the physical and electrical nature in the antenna system, no matter what the driving source (transceiver and ATU) might be.

Consider also that a ground wire to mother earth may not be a very good RF Ground and the situation becomes more complex - in other words, RF voltage can 'float' on a DC ground with no problem. Connecting a ground wire to the tuner may not change the amount of RF in the shack significantly unless that ground wire is also an RF ground. The function of a balun at the point where the balanced line is attached is similar to the function of a balun used at the antenna end of the coax feed - it is there to keep the RF voltage from flowing back onto the DC grounded part of the driving system, but if the RF voltage at the attachment point is already zero (or very low), the balun will not have much to accomplish and could even be eliminated.

So if you do not have RF in the shack (due to RF voltage floating on the DC Ground), you have an installation where the balun at the tuner can be eliminated. You may or may not be able to achieve all the right conditions in a multiband antenna/feedline setup, but you can make an attempt.

I would suggest that you measure the RF current in each leg of your feedline to determine if the direct connection to the KAT2 changes the line balance situation. If it changes the line balance significantly, then use a balun or alter the feedline length to reduce the RF voltage at the shack end.

Using a balun at a point where the reactance is high can cause losses, but where the reactance is low, inserting a good balun will not create significant loss.

Many 'old wives tales' and myths come from using baluns arbitrarily and trying to make it a 'cure-all' for all antenna system ills.

73,
Don W3FPR

Peter Wollan wrote:
Please, I'd like some more discussion of this question. I've seen before that baluns on ladder line can be lossy, but I'm not about to get a balanced tuner, so it doesn't really help. What happens if you connect the balanced line directly to the KAT100? Or, in my case, to the KAT2? I haven't had any problems so far -- maybe low power makes a big difference, or maybe I've just had antennas which were reasonable in some way. I gather it's possible to get unpleasant currents on the case, mic, or paddle. Is that exactly the condition in which the balun will be lossy? Does connecting the ground screw on the KAT2 (or the one on the balun?) alleviate the common mode current problems?