One open wire line feed system I built was for a doublet hung "inverted Vee"
style from a wooden mast. I picked up a bunch on plastic "Dog Bone"
insulators from HRO or some such place. They are about 3 inches between
holes and have a series of ridges near the center to extend the surface
path. They aren't too heavy for free hanging on about #12 or #24 house
wiring, which provides an impedance in the 400-500 ohm range. Since I
painted my pole white, I used white-jacketed ordinary house wire and white
insulators. The line was hard to see.

Having a wooden pole that I painted white and not wanting the feeder
bouncing all over the place, I picked up some cheap 300 ohm twinlead
"standoffs" from Radio Shack. They have the advantage of being made of soft
metal that's easily bent. I bent the eyelets open, discarding the insulating
disk that normally holds the twinlead, and reclamped them around the center
groove in the insulators formed by the ridges. It's easy to do with ordinary
"plumbers" pliers using those soft metal eyelets. Then I screwed them into
the pole at about 5-foot intervals and ran the wires up through the holes at
each end. It was a very neat, stable and cheap open wire line.

I used some tie-wraps threaded through the holes and tightened around the
wire, clamping it securely to the side of the feed through. To support it at
the top. The lower ones were allowed to "float" by and large (permitting
dimensional changes with temperature too).

For the last ten feet the wires hung free with the insulators on them held
in place with white tie wraps, with a final insulator with screw eye at the
wooden window sash where it terminated. Two flexible stranded wires came
from there through a header block into the operating position inside.

The larger diameter wire helped too. The biggest losses in such feed lines
come from resistance at the high-current points. Larger wire is better wire
under high SWR conditions.

I know white tie wraps aren't supposed to survive well in UV light, but
those did well for nearly 10 years before I took it down. None failed.

Ron AC7AC