Julian G4ILO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on
Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:05 AM

Hopefully the time will soon pass when firmware updates fix critical
issues (i.e. bugs) and simply add features that may not be deemed
essential. Some people seem to have update-itis and need to have the
latest of everything, but I think I have avoided a lot of problems in
the past (especially in the world of computers) by following the maxim
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My K2 is still working quite
happily on Rev 2.01 firmware, which has never caused an issue until a
few days ago when working on my new program when I wasted half an hour
trying to figure why the TQ command didn't work.

I share your philosophy. My K2 appears to be happy with the firmware that came with it in early 2003 and without any of the 'official' hardware modifications. I have made two 'unofficial' hardware modifications (1) To put a beefy headphone jack at the rear and (2) Re-package the High Voltage bias supply in a screened box sitting on the KPA100 pcb with lead filtering to get rid of many of the receiver birdies.

If I order a K3 early next year assuming that any serious bugs have been dealt with, I would like to think that I would not need to install updates very often, if at all.

Sincere thanks to everyone who answered my question.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD