This is from the web site quoted-  This is how how a house I used to own
was wired for the few (at the time) obligatory three-prong sockets.
I was told by the house inspector that this did meet code.

Drilling into the stud space from above or below (crawl space or
attic) does work.  I've rewired 3/4 of my current 100+ year old house
that way in the past ten years.  I had gas piping for lighting, knob
and tube, lead-covered two conductor, BX, conduit, and both two and
three wire Nomex (as well as a couple of runs of lamp cord) when I
started.  I've now got two runs of BX, a fair amount of conduit and
the rest is three (or 4) wire Nomex.  And it's all up to code for the
time it was done.

>What my plan is, is to run the conductor through the crawl space and
>drill into the stud space from below running the ground wire as one
>would run a new piece of romex. I beleive that this would be more cost
>effective than replacing the entire wiring system in the house and
>still meet the requirements of code. It would definitely be safer than
>leaving the house as it is. The house was wired in 1958 and must have
>been done by some one that wanted plenty of power as there are many
>more outlets on the walls than current code requires including the
>kitchen counter. I have not yet delved into the distribution of the
>circuits but the house has the original fused 200 amp distribution
>panel.

73, doug

   From: Dan KB6NU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:17:32 -0500

   I did some Google searching and came up with the following:

   http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?
   ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001341

   I think it's going to be a pain no matter what you do, but running
   the ground wire exterior to the building doesn't seem like a great
   idea to me.

   73!

   Dan KB6NU
   CW Geek and MI Affiliated Club Coordinator
   Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com
   LET'S GET MORE KIDS INTO HAM RADIO!