Gee, Phil, I had to file the same paperwork (okay - on line license
modification) to change my address when I moved, which the FCC does require
one do. The only difference is in whether one checks the box "issue new
call". A new license is issued in any case, right out of the
computer-generated sequence if one doesn't pay the premium price for a
"vanity" call.

Since I've always campaigned for Amateur call signs the indicate the
station's general location in this very large country of ours, I told the
FCC to issue me a new call when I moved to Oregon in 1998 by simply clicking
on the right button. That's how AC6Y in California became AC7AC in Oregon.

In either case one gets a new license issued. Indeed, I when I moved to the
Oregon coast last summer and filed a simple change of address I was sent a
whole bunch of new licenses from the FCC in the mail -- Amateur, 2nd Class
Radiotelegraph, General Radiotelephone Operator's License, GMDSS Operator
and GMDSS Maintainer. I even had to submit a new mug shot for that 2nd Class
Radiotelegraph operator's license for the FCC to stick on the front of it.

Ron AC7AC