If I understand what I think you are saying... The 2nd receiver is completely independent and doesn't use the filters (or anything else) in the primary receiver. Each receiver has its own dedicated roofing filters (up to five). You populate the filters in the 2nd receiver according to how you plan to use it (just as you do for the primary receiver). Like the primary receiver, the 2nd receiver will come equipped by default with the 2.7 kHz 5-pole roofing filter, and you can replace this filter with another and/or add additional filters.

Bill W5WVO

Paul Ferguson wrote:
I plan to use a K3 primarily for DXing. I want the second receiver
option so I can listen for clear spots and stations working the DX in
split operations.

For this usage, can you see any reasons to add additional filters to
the second receiver?

73,
Paul
K5ESW