Thanks Eric!

Keep up the great work!  It is appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ,
Elecraft
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:53 AM
To: G4ILO
Cc: Elecraft List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Shipping status ...ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Hi Julian,

I apologize for the delays getting you (and everyone else) your K3. We
are absolutely working as hard as possible to get K3s out the door
quickly. Every time I see a complaint here (and elsewhere) about
delivery delays, status accuracy etc., I take every posting very
personally (especially those criticizing our veracity) and agonize over
how we can improve things further.

To be totally, and brutally, honest, we were absolutely amazed at the
amount of orders we received at introduction of the K3. (We're not a
venture capital financed company that can staff up and spend millions of
dollars before shipping our first K3.) We certainly underestimated the
ongoing response and have been playing catch up as we have added staff
and vendors to meet the demand. This has strained not only our own
staff, but that of our vendors too. They are doing a great job
responding, but we are continually looking for additional resources. My
day starts out -very- early with a review of what new issues and
problems have to be addressed to keep production rolling and how we can
improve our run rate. The term 'fire drill' is now permanently engraved
on the back of my head ;-) Fire drills encompass everything from vendors
not delivering parts and assembled PCBs on schedule, wrong or faulty
parts received, key employees out sick, test and alignment taking longer
than expected, pcb assembly errors at a vendor (requiring rework here),
customers who personally want to talk with me etc. etc. All of this is a
normal part of any product ramp up (I've been there before..), and it is
getting better and more predictable daily. But it takes a lot of effort
to make sure we increase our output -and- maintain our admittedly high
quality standards.

As we go forward our shipping estimates will continue to both increase
in volume and get more accurate. I'm trying to be as honest and as
conservative as possible with my current shipping estimates, and so are
Lisa and her crew. But we're human too and will make mistakes or be over
optimistic from time to time. It is very hard to accurately estimate
delivery out past a 3-4 week window and I'm sure Lisa and crew have been
pressured into guessing on some estimates. I'm actually trying to get to
the point where we will regularly exceed our posted estimates. If my
'fire drill' threshold is not exceeded this month I think we'll be there
soon! :-)

Our new order rate is strong (and increasing!) and we have had very few
cancellations (I can count them on one hand), which has given us the
confidence to spend even more on staffing, inventory and other
resources. As K3s have gotten out into the field people are showing
their rig to their friends and we're getting a lot of referral orders.
We've now been able to increase our daily production rate ahead of the
order rate, so my confidence is increasing that we're on the right track
to keep everyone happy.

As always, we will refund any deposits (and still keep an order active)
and/or cancel anyone's order without delay should they feel the need to
do so.

Lastly, please stop arguing with each other here about what should or
should not be said about K3 deliveries. We want the feedback. But also,
please tone down the rhetoric and personal criticisms - we are human
here too and we lose sleep over these postings.

We're doing our best to make the K3 a superb rig and to get it out to
you as quickly as possible. As always, please feel free to email me
directly if you feel we have done or said anything you take issue with )
or just want to vent! :-)

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
------