I'm not in favor of breaking the law, but I think the chances of running into the FCC today are slim to none. If you don't identify with your ham callsign while using a ham rig on FRS or CB frequencies, it's unlikely anyone, even the FCC will know a difference, or even care. The FCC can't even enforce Part 95 today, except for the occasional bust of Joe's Radio Shop selling souped up CBs and amps. And if you look at their recent "creative" interpretation of harmful interference in Part 15 in regards to BPL it would appear that the FCC is taking a more liberal approach to the rules. Today's FCC is more concerned with Janet Jackson and figuring out how to maintain telco monopolies, but I digress :-) I think the only time the FCC would ever know about an occurrence of a ham using a ham rig out of band during an emergency would be if another ham reported them to the FCC. One would have to ask what the true motives are of someone doing this.

I do carry an FRS and CB radio in my communications go kit, but if either of them don't work for any reason during an event, I won't hesitate to use one of my ham rigs. If the FCC has lost its last vestige of common sense and wants to fine me, I'll turn in my license as it's no longer worth my time and effort to volunteer my services.

I'm disappointed the K3 won't transmit on its entire receive range. We're amateur radio operators, not toddlers trying to get into the cabinet under the sink.