David Pratt wrote:
In a recent message Goody K3NG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>I'm not in favor of breaking the law, but I think the chances of running into the FCC today are slim to none. If you don't identify with your ham callsign while using a ham rig on FRS or CB frequencies, it's unlikely anyone, even the FCC will know a difference, or even care.

>It is the tendency these days for radio amateurs of all nations to self-regulate. So let us do just that and use equipment which is legal. A CB transceiver can be bought for just a few $, so let's act responsibly and keep the hobbies separate without complicating the issue any further. It is fortunate that the CB bands can be disabled in K3 firmware.

My point is not that the K3 should be a CB transceiver, nor am I encouraging someone to use it regularly on CB bands or "combine the hobbies". The point is it would be prudent to have the capability there if you need it. I'm not disputing that in normal situations "legal" CB transceivers are cheap and readily available. The reality is in abnormal situations (i.e. emergencies) they're not readily available. It doesn't matter to me if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere that Walmart is selling CBs for $15, I don't have a Walmart that I can get to. It doesn't matter that I own a cheap CB if it happens to be at my house if I'm a hundred miles away. While we can preach with blue skies that everyone should be prepared and carry a CB, the fact of the matter is that we can't carry in our vehicles or on our person at every moment every possible tool needed in an emergency. CB disabled on the K3 is like the little saw removed on a Swiss Army knife.

Jim Cundiff KB3GFC wrote:

>If you can afford $3K for a radio and have the time and desire to volunteer, spend a hundred bucks and buy the CB if you want to TX there!

<sigh> It's not about the money. If it was, anyone could buy a ham rig already on the market cheaper than the K3 that can TX in the CB band and amateur bands.

In summary (to the group), it seems the point of this no-TX-in-the-CB band "feature" isn't to keep law-abiding amateurs legal, it's to keep non-hams from using it for a glorified CB. As I've mentioned earlier, the price point, appearance, marketing, and features of the K3 take this so far out of the law-breaking CBer demographic, it's silly to think there would be widespread use of K3s on CB bands in areas where it was illegal. The potential benefits of having CB TX available far outweigh the risks. Not to get mellowdramatic, but it seems often in amateur radio today, we've thrown out common sense and practical reality for legalistic and/or idealistic principles. That is what several of the arguments here are doing.

Everyone (in the US) should keep a paper copy of Part 95 and 97 with them for emergencies -- it makes a good fire starter.

73
K3NG
Goody

--