Oh, but this IS normal. You need a peak reading wattmeter. If anyone ever uses an average reading power meter to try to figure out the "talk" power of a radio, I guarantee you that they are putting out crude. Even with the K3 compressor set up more than it should, your peak to average ratio is very high. I have the Autek (sp?) peak reading meter in line, and it shows exactly what is going on. On SSB, I get 100 + watts, as I talk. On CW, I get what I dialed into the K3, and on PSK, I get around 10, based upon the audio gain settings.

PLEASE! Never ever use an average reading wattmeter for anything other than key down observations. Invest in a peak reading meter. I like the Autek because it has two meters, peak reading forward power, and peak reading, auto adjusted SWR reading. One has to do nothing but look at this meter to tell what is going on.

   tom k8tb

mark roz wrote:

With SSB mic level adjusted  to the max level (ALC to
the max)the average power measured on external meter
is only 4 Watts with distorted audio (power output set
at 110W). If I use external compressor the average
power is still only 4 Watts. This is done with CMP
gain at zero. This is not normal.