Thanks for posting your interesting comments Brendan.

Within the context of SSB useage in ham radio I believe that the 'hype about audio' could lead to another related problem, if not already existing, which is poor use of the HF spectrum available to us. Given the proven fact that a SSB transmitter filter bandwidth of 2.1 kHz will result in the transmission of a very 'good quality' speech signal, provided that the carrier is positioned properly and that the mic - audio - modulator system characteristics suit human speech, I see no valid reason for using wider SSB filters. In addition to the increased amount of spectrum used, the use of wider filters followed by linear amplifiers whose IMD products might be only 30db or so below a test tone obviously results in a wider 'Interference Bandwidth', and should be discouraged IMHO. Adding Reverse ALC to the mix can further increase interference.

Just an opinion.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Brendan Minish  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

These words (in ham radio use anyway) have become marketing speak and
now mean nothing. As a former audio professional I cannot understand why
all the hype about Audio in ham radio and to my ears there's a lot of
money wasted on trying to make SSB into something it isn't.

<snip>