I recently tried this on my multi band offset center dipole and would
be interested in any comments.

300 ohm twin feed from antenna to near ground level; box there
containing 4:1 balun which connects via RG8 to rig in second floor
room.  In the box ( one foot above ground) I connected outer shield of
coaxial to horizontal copper earth pipes below ground.

I was getting RF in shack and poor SWR on 80M band. The result now is
that I get good SWR across 80M band and no RF in shack.  I am getting
good signal reports, but have not had the opportunity to check on the
amount of power that is actually getting out of the antenna.

Larry (G0IKE) K2 #2424