As always, Don has excellent suggestions.

A very simple current meter for tuning is to put a small light bulb
(flashlight bulb is often fine) in series with the counterpoise at the rig.
Now apply power, adjust your tuner, if you're using one, and then start
shortening the counterpoise  for maximum current (brightness). You do NOT
need to actually cut the counterpoise, You can temporarily fold it back on
itself. The folded back section just looks like a "fat" wire to the RF: it
doesn't follow tight bends. You may need to short out the bulb when moving
to full power: in many situations a LOT of current flows in the
counterpoise!

Another technique is to cut the counterpoise short and add a small loading
coil at the rig to bring it to resonance. I've used that approach with
excellent results. A good counterpoise can be as short as 1/16 wavelength
with a loading coil, meaning that you can use the same counterpoise of
several bands. For example a 15-foot counterpoise will work on 20, 40 and 80
meters with a suitable loading coil.

You can extend that in the other direction by adding a variable capacitor in
series with the coil to bring it to resonance at higher frequencies.

MFJ used to make a little tuner they called an "artificial ground" that used
just such a circuit and which included a simple current monitor for
adjusting it. I don't know if they are still being made, but almost any QRP
type ATU will work with a suitable current monitor to peak the ground
current.

Moxon suggests that, if possible, use at least two counterpoise wires,
running in opposite directions so they don't radiate and bring them to
resonance with a common loading coil where they connect to the rig.

Ron AC7AC